5 Things Covered by Minnesota Automobile No-Fault Benefits

Commonly referred to as PIP or no-fault, personal injury protection benefits are a required provision of automobile policies in the State of Minnesota. Even if you are not a resident of the State of Minnesota, but are involved in an accident within its boundaries you may be entitled to receive benefits under this provision.

This policy provision is widely misunderstood and more commonly benefits are not always maximized. No-Fault benefits provide basic economic loss benefits. If you are injured in a collision, this portion of your own policy pays you and members of your household, within the stated limits, for medical expenses, lost wages, and replacement services. These costs are paid no matter who is at fault.

Most No-Fault policies have up to $20,000 available for medical expenses and up to $20,000 available for loss of income and/or replacement services. Check your policy to see if you have stacking or combined coverage if your household has more than one vehicle. This may increase the amount available to you.


Type of Coverage: Min. Available: What it covers:
Medical Expenses $20,000 Medical care, chiropractic treatment, x-rays, optical, dental, rehabilitation, artificial limbs, ambulance transportation, mileage reimbursement, prescription reimbursement
Loss of Income

Replacement Services/Primary Homemaker Services
$20,000 85% of weekly wage up to a max of $500/week

$200 per week


In order for the No-Fault carrier to properly process your medical bills relating to a motor vehicle collision, they must be provided with a few necessary documents. First they will need a copy of the itemized billing statement from the medical provider. Second, they will need corresponding medical records for that date of service. Lastly, this treatment must be reasonable and necessary in accordance to your injuries sustained in the collision.


The medical benefits portion of the no-fault benefits also allows reimbursement for travel expenses to and from doctors appointments. This reimbursement is calculated pursuant to the yearly mileage reimbursement rate.


If you have missed work due to injuries and/or medical treatment in relation to a motor vehicle collision keep track of the dates and length of time missed. Under the Minnesota No-Fault Statute loss of income is reimbursed at 85% of your average weekly wage, up to a maximum of $500 per week.

In order to receive loss of income benefits under the No-Fault Statue you will need two items to prove a loss of income claim. First, a disability statement from your treating provider is required. The disability statement must outline your disability/restrictions and the length of time the disability/restrictions are in effect. Second, a Wage Verification Form will be requested from your employer. This form will outline your weekly/monthly pay and the time you have missed from work.


Replacement service claims will pay up to $200 per week for household chores the injured party is no longer able to perform (Example: house cleaning, mowing the lawn, shoveling the driveway, etc.) In order to receive reimbursement of these services two items need to be provided to the insurance company. First, a disability statement from your treating provider is required. The disability statement must outline your disability/restrictions and the length of time the disability/restrictions are in effect. Second, an Affidavit of Services will be required from the person performing the services and a receipt showing payments made.

These documents may need to be updated multiple times throughout the duration of your case depending on the length of your disability/restrictions.


A primary homemaker can make a claim for the loss of household services, even if an economic loss has not been incurred. In this scenario, a primary homemaker includes the person who holds the primary responsibility for maintenance and care of the home. (Example: Cooking, cleaning, childcare, yard maintenance, etc.)

In order to prove a primary household services claim you will first need a disability statement from your treating provider. The disability statement must outline your disability/restrictions and the length of time the disability/restrictions are in effect. Second, you will be asked to complete a household services list. This list requires you to lay out the amount of time per week that you perform these household services. You will also be required to complete at Household Services Calendar. This will help outline the days/times that you were unable to perform your household services.


No-Fault coverage is widely misunderstood. Many drivers believe that their insurance company will cover ALL losses in a collision, regardless of who is at fault. But “No-Fault” coverage applies ONLY to expenses resulting from injuries sustained in a collision. Here are some other facts about No-Fault:

1. No-Fault is a Minnesota law. It was established to help ease the burden of courts and to ensure prompt treatment for collision victims.

2. No-Fault is also known as Personal Injury Protection (PIP) on your policy, sometimes referred to as Basic Economic Loss Benefits.

3. No-Fault covers medical expenses, wage loss, replacement services such as housekeeping.

4. In the event of death No-Fault covers funeral expenses and survivor’s economic loss benefits and survivors replacement services loss up to $5,000.

5. Minimum No-Fault coverage is $40,000. The amount available to each person injured in a collision; $20,000 is allowed for medical expenses and $20,000 may be used for non-medical expenses (wage loss and replacement services). Coverage beyond these minimum amounts may be purchased.

6. No-Fault usually does not apply to collision when you are riding your motorcycle or snowmobile. You must purchase a separate insurance policy covering these vehicles, and the policies will not include personal injury protection. PIP coverage for snowmobiles or motorcycles can, however, be purchased separately.

7. No-Fault claims must be made within six months of the collision. You must include proof of expenses, complete an application for benefits, and submit to an independent medical examination if requested. Bills should be submitted to the insurance company as they come in.


Fill out the form below, or call our Stillwater, MN office at 651-439-2878 or Hudson, WI office at 715-386-3733.

This site uses cookies and other tracking technologies to assist with navigation and your ability to provide feedback, analyze your use of our website, and assist with our promotional and marketing efforts. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.