Hudson, WI; June 9, 2016: This article recently appeared in the 2016 Spring edition of the St. Croix County Historical Society's Bulletin newsletter.
When Eckberg Lammers Law Firm moved into their current office location in downtown Hudson at 430 Second Street they remolded part of the historic Goss-Boyden building. During that renovation they unearthed a historic stained glass window which once graced the front of that building.
The window, with the words “Bank of Hudson” fashioned into the glass, was put into storage.
Currently additional remodeling at the office is underway and the window needed to find a new home. So when Eckerg Lammers offered the window to the Historical Society, we were happy to accept it.
This is a large window so it was a little difficult to find a place for it, but we plan to house it in our Garden House building. This will require some rearranging and work to install and display the window.
Part of the Society’s mission is to collect and preserve historical information and artifacts associated with St. Croix County. This historic window from Main Street Hudson seems a good fit for our mission.
Alfred Goss, a prominent banker and businessman, came to Hudson in the late 1850s. He was an officer of the First National Bank which was organized 1863. In 1870 the Hudson Savings Bank was organized with Alfred Goss as its president. Mr. Goss also invested in the construction of downtown buildings including the Goss-Boyden block, built in 1871. This building now houses the Eckberg Lammers in the former bank location and San Pedro Café now occupies the space where Philo Boyden operated his drug store.
When the Hudson Savings Bank failed in the Panic of 1893, Harry L. North spearheaded its reopening as the Bank of Hudson. North served as its president until his death in 1911.
The State Bank of Hudson was at the NW corner of Second and Walnut. It had two formidable competitors: The First National Bank of Hudson (est. 1863 on the SW corner of Second and Walnut) and The National Bank of Hudson, est. 1897, (SE corner of Second and Walnut). In 1924 a run on the bank was averted, but in early March 1933 all three banks closed. The First National Bank was the only one to survive and it reopened on March 15, 1933.
The Bank of Hudson window was not the only stained glass window downtown, at one time several other buildings had housed beautiful windows too, including Micklesen Drug Store and the First National Bank.
Sources: Stories of Old Hudson by William H. Miller; Stories of Old Hudson by WHM; and Bits & Pieces of Hudson History by William H. Miller.
About Eckberg Lammers
Founded in 1946, Eckberg Lammers is one of the most well-known law firms in the eastern region of Minneapolis-St. Paul. With offices in Stillwater and Hudson, our attorneys serve clients throughout Minnesota and Wisconsin across a wide platform of individual, business and commercial, and municipal practice areas.
Contact: Kim Pepera
Eckberg, Lammers, P.C.